Identification of stakeholders that made an identification of the practice
GIZ , Yarmouk University (YU)
Name and leading organization (contact details provided)
Application setting: context
To help Syrian Refugees to integrate into the local market, to be able to search for job, to be able to sell themselves, it was essential to focus on the learning and development (L&D) (Training and education) to empower them. Furthermore, it is essential to empower them with the needed technical and soft skills needed in the job market. The specialities of this project are to support refugees’ community in developing their capacities and skill sets to enrol, adapt and engage with the local Jordanian communities and industries. In addition, the project will try to deal with the difficulties that students have at the university and when entering the job market
The aim of the project is to equip and empower audiences (Syrian refugees and selected Jordanians) with relevant technical and hot/needed topics, knowledge, soft skill and entrepreneurship skills that will enable refugees and the Jordanian population to blend in the local market demand. The objectives are:
- Maximizing opportunities in the labour market and hiring opportunities
- Helping people with their ideas to reach their maximum potentials through entrepreneurship.
- Inducting local communities to better welcome Syrian refugees
- Introducing and blending Syrian refugees in the industry through the in-class and in-premises hands-on
Requirements/ accessibility issues
- Not required to have a first degree.
- Required to be in the age of 18 – 30
- Must submit a CV including relevant experience if any.
- Letter of motivation and or cover letter.
- Prove to ability attend all 4 courses (Coordinator to decide on this)
A maximum of 25 students will be accepted per intake. Both, Syrians and Jordanians of both genders can apply for the course e.g. 15 Syrians and 10 Jordanians. After successful completion of the course, each participant receives a certificate.
The methodology will be a combination of theoretical/conceptual input by professionals in the fields with practical exercises. During the in-house seminars, learning will be supported through group work, role play and other interactive methods. Participants will apply their newly acquired knowledge in a field activity. Project duration will be 4 semesters: 4 months each. Each semester has four courses; the duration for each course is 1.5 to 2 months and two courses will be given at the same time as follows:
- In-house seminars
- Using some Online Courses
- Field training and activities
- Presentation of results of field activity and discussion with trainers
Survey also is conducted to measure the performance of the trainers and the contents itself
Difficulties or constrains for its implementation
Mainly absence rate of students, not easy to get practical training by industry, not easy to arrange market visit, internal management of transportation.
The project is still ongoing but the initial results and good and students’ feedback is acceptable.